Annotation Studio is developed as an open source web application, based on state of the art web design and development technologies and methodologies.
On the server side, we use Ruby on Rails and PostgreSQL.
- All user and group management and document organization is built in Ruby on Rails
- Annotation data is stored in the MongoDB database, via a REST API written in Node.js
- The annotation environment uses Backbone.js to provide user data display and navigation
- We use the Twitter Bootstrap and jQuery for user interface controls, layout and design.
- Github and Heroku serve as platforms for collaboration and deployment.